When you stock your fridge, do you keep it tidy? How do you keep it organized? Keeping your fridge neat, clean and organized will help the fridge operate at its best performance longer. It will also save you money. Not keeping your fridge tidy and organized can cause the vents to underperform which causes your fridge to work harder. This could eventually turn into costly repairs. No matter the style or year your fridge is, you can practice simple tricks and hacks for keeping your fridge organized and tidy. Here are a few tips that we have found are very useful for keeping things neat and tidy!
- A mild dish soap like dawn and warm water works great for keeping the inside clean.
- Always clean up spills as soon as they happen. If you don’t clean it up before it dries, it can become hard to get up.
- You can use white vinegar and water solution to spray the inside of fridge concentrating on soiled areas. Allow it soak to in before wiping with a rag.
- Contact paper, liners, or paper towels can be applied to the shelves for extra protection.
- Make sure that all old food has been thrown out and all shelves are cleaned.
- Designate the top shelf for soda, yogurts, tuna pouches, and even small condiments. A Lazy Susan can be great to use for these items as well.
- Since leftovers sometimes can be forgotten, create a box or cubby for leftovers and keep them on the top shelf. These keeps them right in your line of vision so that you don’t forget about them.
- Rotate your food. Keep newer fresher food in the back and rotate the older food in front. This will help to keep the waste of food down.
- Take fruit out of the storage containers. Placing them in seal tight containers after being washed will help keep them fresh and lasting longer.
- Tuck baking soda in the back of your fridge to reduce odor.
- Use clear bins to group certain items together like cheeses, peppers, or herbs. Using totes can be great space savers.
- Keep meat items on the bottom shelf. You can also write the date on the package of meat so you can keep track of when it was put in the fridge or how long it has been thawed.
- With the door of the fridge being the warmest part, you should only store condiments there.
- Milk is a dairy and can spoil if it gets too warm, so it’s best to keep this on the middle shelf.
- Clear rectangle totes are really nice for keeping meats together like bacon, sausage, and other meats.
- If you have baby food, try using a small clear tote for all your baby food jars.
- Meal prep is another great way to stay organized.
Everyone organizes their fridge a little differently, but most people have the same intent in mind. Get creative when you organize your fridge and keep it tidy! Remember to check all expiration dates. One of the most frustrating things is to open your fridge, grab something that looks delightful only to notice it has spoiled. Practicing these few simple tricks and hacks will go such a long way.